The degree exam for single-cycle master’s degree programs consists of the discussion and evaluation of a dissertation written in Italian or a foreign language on a topic pertaining to a subject that the student has passed an exam on.
The topic is assigned to the final year student by a professor that has a contract with Luiss at the time of the request and is (or was at one time) a professor in the subject chosen for the thesis; the latter must be on a subject covered by at least one of the courses in the student’s single cycle master’s degree study plan (except for additional courses and courses with pass/fail grades).
The thesis should demonstrate the student’s analytical, literary and technical-scientific maturity, and must be an original piece of writing by the student working under the guidance of a supervisor who, together with the co-supervisor, will vouch for the work and will help the student prepare it.
Students can prepare a “traditional” thesis which can earn up to a maximum of 6 points or one of “special merit”, which can earn up to a maximum of 7 points.
The evaluation of “special merit” is made by the supervisor who must sign a form (which can be picked up by the student at the Front Office of the Student Office on Via Parenzo) at least two months before the deadline to hand the thesis in to the Student Office.
The dean of the department will nominate a second co-supervisor.
An academic year has the three degree sessions: Summer (normally July), Autumn (normally October/November) and Extraordinary (normally March/April).
|Degree Sessions a.y. 2018-2019||Calendar of administrative deadlines|
Summer Session a.y. 2019-2020 - Deadline to submit the thesis title assignment: January, 30 2020
To comply with the deadlines published and the norms of the University regarding plagiarism, students planning to take their degree exam and graduate must:
- submit the thesis title assignment form to the Student Office five months prior to the degree session in which they intend to take the examTo comply with the deadlines published and the norms of the University regarding plagiarism, students planning to take their degree exam and graduate must:
- register for the degree session by filling out the degree exam request and paying the degree fee through the Web Self Service
- complete the examinations (to find out the scheduled deadline for taking all official examinations, please refer to the calendar)
- upload the Thesis
Hand in the thesis title assignment form five months before the degree exam
Students need to fill out the thesis assignment form, signed by their supervisor, by going to the degree exam section of their personal Web Self Service page. They must submit this form to the Student Office by the deadlines in the calendar. In addition to the designated supervisor, the dean of the department will appoint a co-supervisor based on the thesis topic, whose name can be looked up on the Web Self Service. This co-supervisor, along with the supervisor, will help the student prepare the work, will vouch for the work and will be present when the student discusses the thesis during their defense. Considering the academic importance of the co-supervisor, all students are asked to get in touch with their designated professor when they begin drafting their theses and to continually update them as their work progresses.
The thesis title assignment form specifies the first session in which the student can take their degree exam and graduate and therefore should not be handed in again if the degree exam is being postponed to a subsequent session (unless there is a change to the thesis subject or the supervisor). Registration for a specific degree exam session, however, requires the submission of the degree exam request form and the receipt evidencing payment of the degree fee; if the thesis title assignment form is submitted without the duty stamped degree exam form, it is not necessary to submit an additional form postponing the degree exam.
Register for the degree exam
- Go to the Degree exam section of the personal Web Self Service page and fill out the degree exam request. To find out the scheduled deadline, refer to the Calendar of administrative deadlines.
- Pay the degree fee.
- Submit to the Student Office the badge and completed academic record booklet (booklet containing all of their official exam grades, or libretto universitario in Italian). It will be compulsory also in case the examinations will have not been taken. The documents can either be handed in personally or hand in by third party (without a proxy) at Student Office from Monday to Friday (9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.) and Tuesdays and Thursdays (3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.) in Via Parenzo 11, or sent by mail to Luiss Guido Carli – Student Office – Via Parenzo 11 - 00198 Rome.
Take note please: after filling out the request, it will no longer be possible to change the data therein except for the title of the thesis, which can be changed up to the upload.
The degree exam request will be considered effective only after the payment of the degree fee has been visible on web self service page.
The status can be checked through the Web Self Service under the heading Degree Exam>status> “Submitted in Student Office”.
The missed payment of the degree fee or the missed submission to the Student Office of the badge and completed academic record booklet will lead to exclusion from the degree exam session.
4. Submit the following to the Career Services Office:
- internship (only if part of the student’s study plan)
- Go to the Degree exam section of the personal Web Self Service page. To find out the scheduled deadline, refer to the Calendar of administrative deadlines.
- Read carefully what is set out there on stylistic guidelines for the Final Paper and the provisions concerning the “Authorization to online publication of the thesis” in the Luiss archive and select one of the three options (for further information LuissThesis)
- Upload the definitive file of the Thesis. It will be approved/not approved by the Professors (Supervisor and Co- Supervisor) on Web Self Service in accordance with the timeframe that will be after the deadlines and notified to them. It is not necessary to submit any documentation to the Student Office.
For margins, line spacing and font to use, please follow the instructions of your Supervisor and the Stylistic guidelines for the Thesis.
Please note: only single file in PDF format lower 15 MB will be accepted.
The upload must be done only once in the process period and it will be considered as the definitive file. The Student Office will do spot checks to verify the file.
A failure to upload the thesis by the required deadline and the “Not Approval” by one or both Professors will lead to exclusion from the degree exam session.
The digital copy of the thesis will be kept in the digital archive of this University in compliance with the security measures provided by the Code regarding the protection of personal data and will be available, for administrative and scientific reasons when permitted, only by authorized persons, according to the same rules for consultation.
For further information, please write (only from a Luiss account) at the following addresses:
- administrative/technical questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- authorization to online consultation of final paper: email@example.com
Please note the importance of the Luiss institutional email address as support and information tool.
In order to reduce the waste of ink and paper, please read carefully the stylistic guidelines for the Thesis approved by the Academic Senate on December, 15 2015.