The bachelor's degree exam plans the discussion and the evaluation of a final paper written in Italian or a foreign language on a topic pertaining to a subject that the student has passed an exam on. The topic is assigned to the final year student by a professor that has a contract with Luiss at the time of the request and is (or was at one time) a professor in the subject chosen for the final paper; the latter must be on a subject covered by at least one of the courses in the student’s bachelor’s degree study plan, except for additional courses and courses with pass/fail grades.
The professor who acts as supervisor will also ensure the quality of the work done on the final paper.
It should be noted that bachelor's degree students no have to defend their final paper and the only way they can see their final grade is by accessing the Degree exam section of their page in the Web Self Service.
An academic year has the three degree sessions: Summer (normally July), Autumn (normally October/November) and Extraordinary (normally March/April).
|Degree sessions a.y. 2018-2019||Calendar of administrative deadlines|
To comply with the deadlines published and the norms of the University regarding plagiarism, students planning to take their degree exam and graduate must:
- register for the degree session by filling out the degree exam request and paying the degree fee through the Web Self Service
- complete the examinations (to find out the scheduled deadline for taking all official examinations, please refer to the calendar)
- upload the final paper
Register for the degree exam
- Go to the Degree exam section of the personal Web Self Service page and fill out the degree exam request. To find out the scheduled deadline, refer to the Calendar of administrative deadlines.
- Pay the degree fee.
- If you received them at the time of enrollment , submit to the Student Office the badge and completed academic record booklet (booklet containing all of their official exam grades, or libretto universitario in Italian), also in case the examinations will have not been taken. The documents can either be handed in personally or hand in by third party (without a proxy) at Student Office from Monday to Friday (9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.) and Tuesdays and Thursdays (3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.) in Viale Romania, 32, or sent by mail to Luiss Guido Carli – Student Office – Viale Romania 32 - 00197 Rome.
Take note please: After filling out the request, it will no longer be possible to change the data therein except for the title of the final paper, which can be changed up to the final paper upload.
The degree exam request will be considered effective only after it has been approved by the supervisor (through Web Self Service, in accordance with the timeframe that will be after the deadlines and notified to the Supervisor) and the payment of the degree fee has been visible on web self service page.
The confirmation of the approval/not approval can be checked through Web Self Service under the heading Degree Exam>status> Submitted in Student Office.
The supervisor's not approval of the degree exam request, the missed payment of the degree fee or the missed submission to the Student Office of the badge and completed academic record booklet will lead to exclusion from the degree exam session.
4. Submit the following to the supervisor:
- self-certification regarding examinations taken or to be taken with their grade point average (to be printed using the Registration/Certificates section of Web Self Service)
5. Submit the following to the Career Services Office:
- internship (only if part of the student’s study plan)
Final paper upload
- Go to the Degree exam section of the personal Web Self Service page. To find out the scheduled deadline, refer to the Calendar of administrative deadlines.
- Read carefully what is set out there on stylistic guidelines for the final paper and the provisions concerning the Authorization to online publication of the thesis in the Luiss archive and select one of the three options (for further information see LuissThesis)
- Upload the definitive final paper file. It will be approved/not approved by the supervisor on his Web Self Service in accordance with the timeframe that will be after the deadlines and notified to him. It is not necessary to submit any documentation to the Student Office.
For margins, line spacing and font to use, please follow the instructions of your supervisor and the stylistic guidelines for the thesis.
Please note that only single file in PDF format lower 15 MB will be accepted.
4. Political Science students only:
- a summary to be included in the same file below the final paper (7-8 pages, or 15,000 characters long) written in English if the final paper is written in Italian, and in Italian if the final paper is written in English. The final paper itself should be 30-50 pages, or 60,000-100,000 characters long, not including footnotes/endnotes and the bibliography. Please note that it is possible upload only one file.
The digital copy of the final paper will be kept in the digital archive of this University in compliance with the security measures provided by the Code regarding the protection of personal data and will be available, for administrative and scientific reasons when permitted, only by authorized persons, according to the same rules for consultation.
The Student Office will do spot checks to verify the file.
Please note, the upload must be done only once in the process period and it will be considered as the definitive file.
A failure to upload the final paper by the required deadline and the Supervisor's not approval will lead to exclusion from the degree exam session.
For further information, please write (only from a Luiss account) at the following addresses:
- administrative/technical questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- authorization to online consultation of final paper: email@example.com
Please note the importance of the Luiss institutional email address as support and information tool.
To postpone the degree exam (which can only be done using the Web Self Service) or in case of supervisor’s not approval of the final paper and for all other useful information, please refer to those pages.
In order to reduce the waste of ink and paper, please read carefully the stylistic guidelines for the thesis approved by the Academic Senate on December, 15 2015.