This website uses third party cookies to improve your experience. If you continue browsing or close this notice, you will accept their use.

Luiss Guido Carli

Logo Luiss

EU students


Upon admission, students need to enroll in their chosen program within the indicated deadlines.
To do so, you can refer to the specific instructions:

Visiting students, Double Degree students, PhDs and all other types of international students may refer to the instructions given for their specific program.

Health coverage

EU students who plan to stay in Italy for more than three months can purchase a private health insurance policy or register to the Italian Health Service Coverage (SSN) through the ASL Medical Coverage (ASL is the Local Health Authority). Whether you decide to go for an insurance policy or the national health service, the coverage has to be valid for the entire period of your stay (if longer than one year, it can be extended yearly).
For students who stay in Italy for less than three months, the European Health Card (EHIC) will give them access to the services of the National Health Service.
By registering to the Italian Health Service Coverage, you will have an assigned GP, who you can turn to whenever needed for a visit, prescriptions or authorization for visits with a specialist.
The list of doctors enrolled in the National Health Service can be found at the nearest ASL – Azienda Sanitaria Locale/Local Health Authority – or in any pharmacy. Students can contact the ASL of their area for information.
More information can be found at:

More information

Italian Tax Code Number

The Italian Tax Code number is composed of letters and numbers: according to Italian law, the tax code identifies you in all dealings with Italian public authorities and other administrations. The tax code is strictly personal. Non-EU and EU students must obtain an Italian tax code number in order to:

  • Enroll in the Italian Public Health Service (SSN)
  • Be able to open a bank account
  • Be employed
  • Start a business

To obtain their tax code number, students must go to the local office of the Italian Revenue Agency.

More information

Students have to bring with them:

  • a photocopy of the passport
  • a photocopy of the visa (for non-EU students)
  • the request for the Residence Permit (for non-EU students)
  • a copy of the rental contract in Rome
  • the request form duly compiled

More information

Opening a bank account

If you need to open a bank account in Italy, you should present the following documentation at the bank of your choice:

  • Italian tax code number
  • Identity document (ID / passport);
  • Certificate of enrollment/ invitation letter of the University
  • Non-EU students are also required to show their residence permit (or the receipt stating their application)
  • Italian mobile phone number (might be required)

When a third party sends money by wire transfer to a bank account holder, he/she has to send money to the bank first (meaning money cannot be transferred directly to an individual’s bank account). After 5 working days, the bank will indicate that the money is available, and the bank account holder can decide whether to withdraw it in cash or deposit it in his/her account. There will be an added tax to pay for accounts superior to €5,000.

Civil registry

For periods exceeding three months, all foreign students should register at the Civil Registry of the municipality they live in, as Italians citizens do.
Students will need to call 06 0606 to know to which Roman municipality they belong to (by providing the address of their accommodation in Rome).
This procedure is mandatory, and it requires the following documents:

  • Personal ID (or equivalent)
  • Declaration by LUISS stating the duration of the student’s exchange period (this document is issued by the International Development Office on orientation day)
  • Health insurance policy covering all risks that students might incur during the entire exchange period abroad
  • Proof of economic means of support (also by self-statement)


LUISS University helps students find conveniently located housing solutions, based on their personal needs, through three types of services:

  • University residences - complexes of small apartments with double rooms and common areas
  • Contracted residences - facilities that offer rooms and services at a discounted price for LUISS students
  • Private rooms and apartments, for which students can use the free brokerage service, CasaLUISS

More information

CasaLUISS, a real estate agency entrusted by LUISS, helps students to find a proper accommodation in the area close to LUISS campuses – on in other areas of the city as well. Casa LUISS provides assistance to students throughout their stay, from the procedure of signing a contract to any possible issue related to the accommodation.
All interested students can contact Casa LUISS at +39 06 8522 5755 or via email at To see their offers, check their Facebook page.