This website uses third party cookies to improve your experience. If you continue browsing or close this notice, you will accept their use.

LUISS Guido Carli


Foreign diplomas

The admission test is open solely to students enrolled in the final year of secondary school, who will obtain the final school leaving qualification in the 2017-2018 school year, and all those who already hold a final school leaving qualification entitling its holder to enroll in Italian universities.

It should be borne in mind that pursuant to Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR) regulations, qualifications awarded abroad grant access to an Italian university only if they:

  • have been awarded by official schools in that country’s education system
  • entitle the student to enroll in universities of the country that awarded them
  • have been awarded on completion of a minimum of 12 years of overall schooling (primary and secondary education)

Qualifications awarded by foreign schools operating in Italy will be considered valid only if they are recognized and approved by the ministerial decree that determines and approves their curricula.

In the case of qualifications awarded abroad as part of a mobility program, solely those obtained after a minimum period of mobility of two years will be considered and examined.

Furthermore, to meet admission requirements students holding a US high school diploma must also either:

  • have successfully completed two years of college/university education (and be admitted to the third year)
  • have successfully completed one year of college education (and be admitted to the second year) and have passed at least 4 Advanced Placement examinations (APs)
  • have passed at least three US Advanced Placements examinations (APs) with a score of between 3 and 5, in subjects relating to the university program applied for and one of which must necessarily have been passed in Italian if required by the rules
  • have been awarded the Italian school leaving qualification
  • hold a diploma declared equivalent to the Italian school leaving qualification

To meet admission requirements students holding British GCEs must have obtained 3 passes in A levels.

For any information regarding one’s qualifications and how to obtain a visa/study permit, it is advisable to timely read the “Rules for University Enrolment by Foreign Students” (norme per l’accesso degli studenti stranieri ai corsi universitari) and to contact the local Italian diplomatic authorities in the country whose school system awards the qualification, also in order to comply with the administrative procedures for the issuance of the required documentation.

Candidates can contact CIMEA for an assessment of their qualifications.